Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sigh

WASHINGTON — In a change of Pentagon policy, Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced Wednesday that all active duty Army soldiers deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan will now serve their tours for as long as 15 months, an increase over the standard year-long deployment.

I can’t tell you what those words have done to me tonight. It’s almost 99% confirmed that this includes my husband. I realize it’s only a three month extension, but when twelve months is unfathomable to begin with, another three may as well be an eternity.
I can go on and on about this since right now I’m feeling pretty darn sorry for myself. Please just keep our Troops and their families in your prayers. These are very trying times for the military community.

6 comments:

Robin said...

I'm so sorry, M. When I was writing my post on this subject, your family was in my thoughts, among others. Fair may be an absurd word to use here, as nothing about war is fair, but this extension of tours is so beyond unfair, it's not funny.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Anonymous said...

M. You are in our thoughts and prayers. We are here if you need us!

The Monkey House said...

I just cannot believe that they didn't tell you guys before the announced it on the news. How disrespectful.

Anonymous said...

Hey, M,

I am so sorry! We're thinking of you and R. I know how sad you all must be.

Angie said...

My heart is with you, M. I don't even know what to say. Take care and know that we're thinking about you :)

Anonymous said...

Rats! Judy and I thought of you when we heard the news. We were separated for about six months and it was unbearable. I cried when ever I called Judy on the phone, which wasn't often because of how expensive it was. My parents were apart for several years during WWII with nothing but letters between them. People that haven't been through it don't understand.
You and R will make it but it won't be any fun, that's for sure.
We pray for you and Reid.