Monday, March 12, 2007

No naps already???


Here I sit writing a post at 7:45pm, something usually done after 11pm at the earliest! The reason why is my little angel is asleep. Why is he asleep? Because he DIDN'T TAKE A NAP! We have had this ongoing struggle about nap and bedtime. Lately, it has been a two hour battle at night and at least an hour during naptime. He does not yell and cry, he just does not go to sleep. Today I gave up after a half hour of his refusing to take a nap. I had a ton of things to do today and thought I would see what no nap does to the situation. As I walked into the commissary, I thought this could be a nightmare because in the best situations, the trip to the commissary is pretty stressful! C was amazing. He even "helped" cross things off the grocery list. There was not much left to the list at the end, but he was so proud to have helped Mommy. We got home, he actually ate a good dinner and then was totally ready for bed at 7pm. I put him down in his crib and he was asleep before his head hit the pillow! So here I am with all this time (laundry waiting) and I don't even know what to do with myself. I may get used to this situation if no nap means asleep in bed by 7-7:30. Is my baby a little boy? My goodness he can't possibly not need naps anymore?? Maybe it's a phase. That's one thing I've caught on lately is to not get too used to what a toddler is doing, it's certain to change in an instant! I hope you all are well. Take care and have a wonderful week!

3 comments:

Robin said...

I remember when my kids stopped taking naps. Their bedtime is 8:00 during the week, and we let them stay up later on the weekends. I'll still make them lie down for a nap sometimes when I can tell they really need one, but at ages 8 and 6, it's not a battle like it is with toddlers. Although I missed my couple hours of quiet time during the day, I really enjoyed my long stretch of quiet time at night when they started going to bed earlier!

E said...

Can't offer any advice here--my kids have always been great sleepers. At 4, M. still takes a 2-3 hr nap and is in bed at 8pm. At 6 (almost), A. takes one on Saturdays after a long week of school. They must take after me!

Anonymous said...

My children do not regularly take naps anymore, either, much to my dismay. However, we do still have "quiet time" in the afternoons, so they don't drive me completely crazy. It helps them to have some down time and recharge a little, I think.