Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Konichi-wa

***Disclaimer***
To all Military personnel who may (unlikely) read my blog, I would like to assure you that even though I accompanied my husband while he went TDY, he stayed dedicated to his work at hand while on assignment.

With that said, I GOT TO GO TO JAPAN!!!!!!!

It's been forever since I've posted, but luckily I have reason for it. We have been very busy around here. R's parents came to visit us during the end of October and then R found out he had to go TDY to Japan to work for a week. To my surprise, R suggested I go with him. My first answer was a resounding "NO". I just couldn't imagine leaving C for a whole week. After a few days, I started to realize what a wonderful opportunity it would be. R's parents are wonderful with C and offered to stay with him while we went away. My other realization was R will be leaving again soon for a year-long deployment and a week away alone with my wonderful husband sounded too good to pass up. So, away I went.

The week was amazing! During the day while R worked, I lounged around in my pajamas and read my book and watched old episodes of CSI. In the evening, we would walk outside of the gate and take an adventure of trying to find dinner. Now I know what some of you are thinking, I spent an entire week in Japan doing nothing. Well let me tell you, that post lodging felt like a five star resort. I can't even begin to tell you how nice it was to take a nice long shower every morning only to put on my pajamas or sweats for the day! I can't even remember the last time I sat and read more than one chapter in one sitting. I missed C, but knowing he was in good hands, I totally kicked my feet up and took some much needed rest, plus, I was too chicken to go outside the gate without R!!!
We had just two days during the weekend that we really could go and sight see, so we chose Tokyo one day and Kamakura the other. We saw the Imperial Palace in Tokyo and walked through the gardens. We saw the Meiji Temple where we saw a traditional Japanese wedding, it was so amazing. Over the weekend, there was an event at every major Temple in Japan called the "3,5,7 Festival" Where children ages 3,5 and 7 would get all dressed up in traditional costume and were blessed at the Temple. They were all so adorable! The streets lining the road to the temple were full of vendors selling sweets and treats and every little one had their bag full of them. One of the treats were these dumplings with a little octopus in them, YUM YUM!!!! In Kamakura, we saw the "Great Buddha" and ran into the cutest Japanese girls who asked if they could have their picture with me. We also went to a temple still maintained by traditional Buddhist Monks, something we Americans don't see everyday. The food, like I said, was an adventure. We became familiar with Noodle shops where we could get the most amazing bowl of Ramen for a few hundred yen. We also found a Sushi bar where the chefs would put out the fresh fish on a conveyor belt and everyone sat at the counter and chose the plates they liked. When you were finished, the waitress would add up your tab by counting the plates stacked up next to you.
By about day 5 without C, I started to really miss him. I can't explain it, it was like my arms actually ached to hold him. By the time we got onto the airplane bound for home, I was nearly sick with missing him. His Mammie and Papa took wonderful care of him. When we arrived home, he was in the bath and just stood up and clapped his hands and squealed. I really enjoyed my time without him, but I know my place is at home with C. I love that little turkey, diapers, boogers and all!!!!!!

Have a wonderful week!!!!

1 comment:

Angie said...

WOW!!! How exciting!!! Glad you took the much needed break and had such a great time! Thanks for sharing your pictures too.