Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Worst Mother in the world

So C has a cold, just a congestion thing, so I wasn't too worried about it. I wanted to try and nix it before it got too bad, so we went to Walmart and bought a vaporizer and the Katz soothing vapor stuff. Last night I hooked it up and put the medicine in and then started the bedtime routine with C. I kissed him and put him down around 8pm. As I've said in my last post, I am on a cleaning mission, so I went out to the garage to start tidying up. I didn't have the baby monitor out there but C's room is on the other side of the wall from the garage so I could hear if he had a meltdown. About 9pm I did hear him cry, but told myself to be strong and let him cry it out instead of going in there to rock him to sleep.
About 10pm I went in to check on him. As I walked into his room I thought "that vaporizer stinks!". I peered into the crib and saw my sleeping angel breathing well, so I kissed him and went off to bed.
At 5:30am I heard C on the baby monitor crying and again I told myself "be strong, you don't want to start putting him in bed with you again, just let him cry". At 6:30, he was no longer crying, instead yelling "MOOOOMMMMMYYYYY!" I finally went in there and picked my son up who was completely covered in vomit. Not recent vomit, but completely dry vomit. Vomit ALL OVER HIM AND HIS CRIB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bad Mommy.
The first time he cried he must have vomited. When I went in and checked on him, because I've never used a vaporizer, I assumed the smell was from that (as I write this I now feel like such a moron, what vaporizer would smell like that!) I didn't feel anything wet when I touched his face to say goodnight.
Bad Mommy.
To defend myself, with the exception of the stomach bug last year, C rarely vomits. He didn't even spit up as an infant, but I still should have recognized that smell!!!!!!
Now today, I am trying everything possible to get that smell out of his room. I've had the window open and the fan running, Lysol, vinegar, baking soda, fabreze, you name it, I've tried it.
I'm sorry if this was too much info for you all. I actually feel better writing about it and no longer feel like I may have possibly scarred my son for life. I pray the day gets better from here!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel free to scar him, drop him on his head,...etc until he is 3. At that point he will remember and blame you for everything.
Love, V

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? You are talking to the QUEEN of vomiting children (remember J. hitting the WALL with it???) and there have been LOTS of times with ALL 3 of mine that I have missed the puke. Maybe it is just my own defense mechanism for desperately avoiding cleaning it up! Who knows?
anyway--the only way I can ever get the smell out of the room is to leave the window open, put a fan on the opposite side of the room and send it out that way. Otherwise, it just stinks for a few days. Eventually it will go away (or be replaced by something else!!)
AT