Monday, August 21, 2006

First trip to the ER


Well everyone it happened. Our first trip to the ER. I knew my day was coming, but it never seems to come in the way you expect it to come! It started out a fine day at the PX to pick up a scooter push toy thing for C. (proudly demonstrated in photos). While R was putting the box in the car out in the parking lot, I decided to let C. play in the kids play area next to the food court. He ran into the little cove without looking back and lost his footing about twelve inches away from the end of the slide, just close enough to bang his head on the very end. To me, it looked like any other fall that happens occasionally (ok, hourly more like) but this time, when I picked him up....HE HAD A DENT IN HIS HEAD!!!!!!
A DENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He cried a little I think only because I acted so horrified. I ran outside to the car where R. was (by this time C. was laughing because Mommy was running) and I screamed to R "HE HAS A DENT IN HIS FOREHEAD!!!!!!". R looked at C. and looked at me. I knew he wanted to laugh, but judging by
my actions, knew it wouldn't be well advised. I was absolutely convinced my son had just cracked his head open. While R. and I were debating going into the ER, C. calmly observed from his carseat where he preceded to find a cracker by his leg and have himself a snack.
R looked over C. for any indications of head trama poking and prodding while C. giggled in response. I, myself was not feeling better since THE DENT WAS STILL THERE!
Off to the ER we went.
Waited in the waiting room for an hour
Waited in the examination room for another.
Believe it or not, C. was just fine. By then, the dent transformed into a blue Easter egg. The nurse helped by explaining that "kids are squishy".
We did get a huge bottle of children's Motrine for free so it was not a total loss and I was able to sleep knowing my child did not have brain damage.

2 comments:

The Monkey House said...

Get lots of good pictures--I have several pages in my kids scrapbooks dedicated to black eyes. But, to be fair, even on my 3rd kid--I would have gone to the ER for a dent. They always say about head injury "If it sticks out, that's good. If it goes in, that's bad." So, it seems to me that a dent warrants an ER visit (even if the only benefit is your being able to sleep) and of course, the "in" switched to "out" after you had already spent 1/2 your day on the event--seems to be the way everything goes with kids, huh??

E said...

Kids are squishy, and bendy! A. will get in a yoga pose that only a contortionist could copy, then look at me and say, "Mommy, why can't you do this?" Because I'm old!!