Thursday, August 14, 2008

Book Club

Last month, I was invited to join a book club by a woman at the pool here in our neighborhood. Tonight was my first meeting and I had such a blast! It's such a huge deal for me that I went because ever since we have gotten out of the Army, I have felt like a social hermit crab. It just feels so scary to get out and meet non-military folk, when that's all I've been around all these years. In the military, you already have so much to talk about because your lives are pretty much the same and you've lived in similar areas etc. I don't know why I had it in my head that non-military folk (R told me that's it's probably time to stop calling people around here civilians!) would be so much different from myself, but I had myself so much convinced so that I ducked my head in a hole as soon as we got here.

So when I was invited to this book club, I figured it was a step I needed to take for a chance of making friends in my new life. What a great step indeed. Everyone there was so nice and such a joy to meet. We are all Mothers of smaller children, so of course there was plenty to talk about as well as the book we read this month. We meet each month which is great knowing I've got a girls night out scheduled every few weeks!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Melissa,

I loved book club in Germany. I wish I had one here. Enjoy it and be sure to post about the books you read. I am always looking for books to read!

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa
Good for you for making a big step to improve your social life. Check out Books on the Brain for some great ideas for books, book clubs and authors. It's a great site: http://lisamm.wordpress.com/