Saturday, January 05, 2008

A New Year






























The holidays are over and that means we are just that much closer to R coming home! We had a great time at Mitzy's for Christmas and New Year. C was spoiled to death by Mitzy and her family as well as Mommy and Daddy. He has certainly got the idea of what presents are. I hope he will someday think of Christmas as more than that, but what can you expect from a two year old!
The Thursday following Christmas, we had the very special opportunity to tour the White House. Mitzy arranged our visit and let me know all the rules as far as what we can bring and such. No bags, only a wallet and cell phone (turned off of course) and that's about it. I was not sure about taking a two year old into the White House not strapped in a stroller, but I was not about to pass up the chance to go! We arrived and there were several groups waiting to get through and when our time came, all was on the list but Mitzy!!! We were her guests!!!! It took some time, but all worked out. C was very good. I was worried because by the time it came to get into the White House, he had had several meltdowns. I was also concerned because I was not armed with my usual "mommy armor" ie, diapers, snacks, baby wipes, drink, m&m's. I had my wallet, phone and sense of humor to keep C happy for the morning. I said several prayers in regards to C not needing a diaper anytime soon! All the more reason why Potty training needs to get underway.
We got inside the White House and C must have gotten enough vibe from me to act well because he was an angel the entire time. There were only a few times where I needed to hold him because he thought nothing of slipping under the velvet ropes to check out the rooms further, other than that, all was great. It was amazing to see with my own eyes, rooms where so much history originated from. To walk through the great room where Lincoln and Kennedy layed in state after their assassinations. At one point in the "Blue Room" I saw the view out the window which looked over the front lawns and saw all the tourists taking pictures in our direction. The same spot where C and I took our picture. I got kind of sad standing there because I knew that C would never remember this, but then thought maybe he can look out this window someday as the President! Hey, a mom can hope! The added benefit to being inside the White House during this time was the AMAZING holiday decorations were up. The theme for this year was our National Parks, so all the decorations reflected all the beauty our country has to offer. It was wonderful. Unfortunately, after we returned home, I learned Benazir Bhutto was assassinated. I did not hear from R for about four days because all communication goes downhill whenever something happens in Pakistan. He is fine. I just pray everyday that Pakistan holds itself together for the next three months so my husband can get home safely. I know it's a selfish thought, but I cannot deny how I feel!
So we are now back home and our day to day schedule is blissfully uneventful. C will start up school again on Tuesday for an hour longer. Yeah! That means two times a week for four hours I have "me" time!!!!!
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. My resolution is to be better at keeping in touch. So don't be irritated if I just randomly give you a call sometime!

No comments: