Monday, January 22, 2007


The only thing that is worse than saying goodbye to my husband for a yearlong deployment is doing it five times. That sentence should describe enough about this last week! Between troops getting backed up and planes breaking down, needless to say, it was not exactly easy for R and the guys to get out of here!


So this has started. YUCK! I don't know a more eloquent way of expressing how I feel! One thing I will say is within a week, I have met so many other wives from R's unit, it makes me feel like I will be just fine this year. What a relief. An outsider will never know the sisterhood that evolves during a military deployment. When I was growing up and in High School, I rarely had close friends who were female with an exception of one (Love ya Annie!) so I never really felt the need for the companionship of females until R joined the Army. It's now a survival tool. However, my weakest trait is to stick my neck out and make friends. It's terrifying for me! I got some great advice this week from another "sister" before going to my first family readiness meeting (FRG) and she said "Look for the people who are sitting alone, watching. Your natural inclination will to BE one of those people, but this is your opportunity to find some friends for yourself, as well as make things a LOT better for someone else that needs you" That is my inner struggle in a nutshell, which is why I love this person so much, she knows me so well, her advice is priceless.

The other vital person for me this year is my husband. His love and support makes me feel like I can handle anything that comes my way.

One week at a time.


Have a great one yourselves!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least now the countdown has started. I remember thinking that was the worst part about the last deployment: waiting for them to leave. You'll get through this one, just like you did the last one. Keep your chin up. We're here (although far away) if you need us!

Love, the McCrums

Anonymous said...

Hang in there M...AQ,K and I are just a phone call away. We love you.

Robin said...

Oh my goodness! Saying goodbye once was hard enough. I can remember (jokingly) telling my husband the night before he left that if for some reason they didn't leave that next day, he'd have to find someplace else to stay because the kids and I weren't going to go through saying goodbye again. Yes, I was kidding (of course he'd have come home if he didn't leave that day), but the thought of saying goodbye TWICE scared me, much less FIVE TIMES!

Robin said...

I accidentally sent that last response. I meant to add this:

You have my email address (I think). Please don't hesitate to use it if you need anything, even if it's just somebody to talk to. After the end of February I'll no longer be "gainfully employed" so will have (hopefully) a bit more free time on my hands.

The Monkey House said...

So. . . how ya doin'? Are you hanging in there? The worst part is behind you (that horrid first day). Until the worst part--a holiday, anniversary, or some random Thursday comes. I know that sounds weird. . .but there can be lots of "worst" parts. Just remember. . .it is OK if you are doing great and then one day it feels like you got kicked in the stomach. It is fine for you to be sad some days and happy the others. Just know that when the bad days come, they will also go away. You can do it. I am proud of the efforts you've made starting your "handful." You are officially an "old" army wife now! You know the number and the ringer's never turned off! Love you all!