Let me start at the beginning and tell you about our move into the place. Once the Army moved us to our apartment, we were on our own to move into our house which is about 35 mins away from our apartment. We closed on the house at the end of Feb and slowly began moving our things since we have to keep our apartment lease until June 10th. We pretty much got all of it over here except for our furniture and heavy items, so I hired movers thinking we could just pay for a few hours and be done with it........why do I always seem to think things will be easy????
What is so ironic is we have made SO MANY moves in the 8 years we were in the Army and the very first one we make as civilians is a nightmare! I can't go into the whole story of our moving experience because not enough time has went by and I will probably get all fired up again thinking about it, but I will give the most important highlights of the day.
- They were paid hourly, just like in the Army, however, since we were paying we were WAYYYYY more conscience of the time ticking away and how many smoke breaks were needed, how many phone calls they got, how many trips up the stairs to the apartment they made only to walk back down empty handed! Enough time went by, Reid started taking upon himself to use their dollys and such and started loading the stuff himself. They finally noticed and followed suit.
- The company advertised that all breakables were "carefully wrapped in our own patented quilts for protection" Who would have thought their "patented quilts" were shrink wrap. Yes they shink wrapped our glass cabinets. Who knows, it could have been bullet proof plastic wrap???
- One of the pieces of my German wall unit does not stand on it's own because it needs to be pushed together. I stood two feet away from the man and told him this. He said "sure no problem" and then stood it next to an emty box and walked away while I scrambled to catch the falling bookcase.
- I bought brand new wicker furniture to go in our screened in porch. They decided when they packed the truck that it was a good base to hold all 14 of Reid's full footlockers on top of it.
- And least, but not all, We have a 160lb Sony trinitron TV in our living room. Reid warned them it was certainly a two man job and we have narrow stairs down to our front door. So what's the logical thing to do?? One guy with the all too popular trend of wearing his pants halfway down his butt decided he could do it himself. Halfway down our stairs his pants FELL OFF and his first reaction was to pull them up while our TV rolled down the stairs.
- So, moral of the story, when or if you leave the Army make sure you either find where your going to stay and stay forever! Or, brace yourself that it certainly will not be like an Army move!
Here are some pictures of the house. Mind now, we have not put a thing up on the walls, but atleast the floor is clear of obstacles! For some reason I am not able to put captions on the photos very easily here, but I suppose it's pretty obvious which rooms they are.







.gif)

3 comments:
I LOVE it!!!! Very nice! Good job guys! It looks great!
I LOVE IT!
I'm sorry the move was a big struggle, but the house looks awesome (especially Cam's room)! Congrats!
Post a Comment